Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Senior Profile: Laurel Myers

 


Laurel is from Colby, Kansas, earning her degree in Social Work with a certificate in Leadership Studies. As a social worker, she hopes to continue to help people see their strengths and potential, and will continue with her Master's degree at FHSU. Laurel is currently working at Larned State Hospital. She can see herself working there long-term as a case manager and group therapist for the adult psychiatric treatment program, but she also enjoys working with children. She would like to eventually get a license for play therapy. 

Laurel was accepted into the Annual Program Meeting for the Council on Social Work Education, as a research qualifier, where she had the opportunity to host a self-care night for over 20 people. She also took on a leadership role with the Social Work Club as their vice president. 

Laurel says, "I am thankful to all of the social work faculty for sharing their experiences and passions as Social Workers, anyone that has encouraged me to not give up, my parents and brother for the sacrifices they made to get me here, my church family, and most of all my faith in God." 

She aims to be a lifelong learner of mental development to learn about how trauma impacts people's lives and how to help them overcome difficult things. If you've ever spent time with Laurel, you know she is a great listener, compassionate, and wants to understand others. She has a very gentle and reassuring presence that will undoubtedly help her help others with big challenges. Keep up the great work, Laurel! 


Be the change you wish to see in the world. ~ Mahatma Gandhi

3 comments:

  1. I love this so much! Laurel, you have the biggest and most passionate heart of anyone I know. You are and will be making a difference in this world. I'm incredibly grateful to call you a dear friend. Love Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart overflows with gratitude for all you've done & will do in the lives of those you encounter. I'm proud to be your momma. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. You continue to amaze me and make me proud to know you. No matter where life takes you I know you will succeed and surpass all expectations. Love you always.

    ReplyDelete