Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Summer Reading: 3 a.m. Notes by Eileen Veatch


 Many people dream of becoming published authors, but several Honorables have already achieved that dream, and it's just the beginning. 

Eileen just finished her freshman year at FHSU, majoring in English, and was nominated as the next FHSU Poet Laureate! She told us a little about her book, 3 a.m. Notes:

My book is a small collection of poems that came to me in the late hours of the night (hence the title). Ever since I was little, I’ve dreamed of being published - I used to write and illustrate my own books and bring them to show and tell in first grade. I saw a flash opportunity through Bookleaf Publishing and took it. And now here I am! Poetry has always been very personal to me, much like music, and the thing I want most out of work is for someone to be like, “Wow, she put that feeling into words.” Though this book was mainly self-published, I am currently working on getting my next collection published traditionally. 

Sometimes it takes me a long time to get poems out because my process takes a few days. It’ll start with an idea or a line. When I’m feeling creative, I’ll write it all in one go, then leave it. I’ll come back the next day and begin editing it. When it feels overwhelming or boring, I’ll stop and try again the next day. I always want to put my best work out there, but it can also be a daunting task sometimes. 

 

Eileen plans to continue writing and is working on publishing more of her work. We look forward to seeing what she creates, and may she inspire those of us who need a little creative motivation!
You can find her book online with a quick search, so go ahead and add a little poetry to your summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment